Eleven days into the new year and I’m still writing 2012 on everything. Typical. I hope you’re all having a great 2013, so far, and that it continues to be that way for the next 354 days.
However, I am settled in enough to this odd numbered year to share some favorite cold-weather, wintery things. You know what that means by now… the Friday Fifteen! Another compilation of things I love, things I just found, blogs I’ve discovered, recipes I want to make, things I’m getting into & other random stuff.
- I love awesome DIY projects. I especially love blogging about them, and so therefore I am extremely glad to have an outlet for them over at textdrivebys.com. I have a few different posts published there, but three of them are DIY projects from Pinterest. Take a look at my most recent one involving chalkboard paint & then go look at the rest of the posts. Not only are there other awesome DIY ideas, but some great articles about music/life/entertainment/etc by some terrific ladies.
- Shameless! Shameless is back on the 13th! Oh, how I love the Gallagher family. And Steve… er, Jimmy. Whatever.
- This deer antler necklace by JustineBrooks on Etsy is so adorable. I have a silver necklace with a deer on it, but this would be so cute to wear with that.
- I know I always list stuff I find on Etsy, but I can’t help it. Buying handmade is something I really believe in. Not to mention they just have the cutest things for sale there! Like a laptop cover from HandmadeBerlin, or an iPad cover from AdamoAmo. Or a Kindle cover, or whatever. Eco-friendly and handmade in Europe, these pieces are beautiful. I ordered one for my own MacBook Pro… mainly because I hate most cases, and I like ones that look like cushy little fairy tale pillow cases instead of hi-tech laptop protection. I don’t want an Otterbox or a military-grade case- I want something cute & pretty for my devices.
- I recently found this website, and I know I’m probably 100 years behind everyone else… but just in case you’re behind like me: Prudent Baby is an amazing site filled with crafty stuff, how-to’s, tutorials & patterns. I’m kind of obsessed with it. I wish I sewed! Yeah, it says it’s for “crafty moms” but I’m not a mom & I love it.
- Meyer lemons. They’re in season now, so on every food blog you’ll probably see Meyer lemon everything. But they really are good; a Chinese cross between an orange (or a mandarin) & a lemon, they’re much sweeter & smaller than regular lemons. Of course, they’re a warm climate fruit (as are all citrus) so they don’t really grow here in NY. Which means I have to hunt them down… or get friends to send me some! Last year Molly sent me a bunch, and this year Yoyo sent me a bunch. And both of them are sending me more! I tell ya- great friends like them don’t grow on trees. Ugh… sorry… bad pun…
- My new favorite blog: Grimmricksen. I freakin’ love it. And I also love the Christmas cards she sent out this year. Right up my alley.
- I got three new bamboo cutting boards from my mother for Christmas, so right now I’m loving Boos Block Board Cream. Not extremely flammable like the mystery oil, and nicer to use. If you’ve got wooden cutting boards, I highly suggest it. It’s good for any kind of wood, and it’s easy to use. It’s important you keep your cutting boards in good shape; treat them well & they’ll serve you for many, many years.
- I found this website by total accident, and I ended up falling in love with it, and I think maybe some of you might too: Bourbon & Boots. The vintage-y hip flasks, ‘Speakeasy’ perfume, the ‘Ghostly things…’ print and the Johnny Cash necklace are my personal favorites so far. And I know Jay would love the ‘Civilization begins at distillation’ print. However from a culinary standpoint- the moonshine cake & pretty much the entire GIFTS section are amazing. I might be a city girl, and a Northerner at that, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate this stuff! Plus… HELLO!?… mason jar lights!? Mason jar wall sconces?! Plants in mason jars?! What the what! You all know I love anything in jars. Alright, fine, I love everything on the site. Go check them out.
- My friend Yoyo, who I mentioned above & who runs topstitch.org & has a webstore on Artfire, made me these wicked cowls a few years back. They’re pretty fabric on the outside, fleece on the inside, and they’re a godsend when the temperature drops low but scarves are too constricting/hot/inconvenient. Love them.
- I’m still obsessed with Pinterest. Follow me!
- Target will be selling these beautiful blue beauties by Ball (alliteration much?) starting in March. They’re re-issues of the famous vintage blue Ball jars in celebration of the 100th anniversary. How many you think I’m gonna buy? I mean, yeah I have vintage blue ones. But to be able to use ’em for canning? SWEET.
- Is it bad to admit that the character Mary Margaret from Once Upon a Time was the real inspiration behind me dying my hair dark brown & cutting it short again?
- I don’t do resolutions, but I am trying to be a more understanding person in general. I have a tendency to just assume people are assholes based on their behavior, and I want to stop thinking that and start trying to see if it’s just the way they are, or if they’re taking their life out on others. I know everyone has problems, but really, I have to stop thinking everyone is just a dick. Sometimes you catch ’em on an off day. And lately I’ve been having a lot of them… so I have to be a little more understanding of people, while not turning into a doormat at the same time. So that’s one of the things I’m trying to do in 2013. How about you?
- Lastly… lately I’m really into pictures & images of winter scenes. This is incredibly strange, seeing as how I both hate the snow and the freezing cold. But nonetheless, I have an entire Pinterest board devoted to it. And here are some of my favorites.*
*I am in no way am claiming ownership of these images I found on Pinterest. All credit goes to the photographers.