Today is the first official day of summer! FINALLY. Time to hear those waves crashing on the shore, walk barefoot on the sand, have a picnic, go fishing, revel in the air conditioning, feel the hot sun on your face… and end up with a bright red, painful, peel-y back. Oh well. It’s all worth it. And it’s only here for a brief, fleeting moment. And this is the first beach season since Superstorm Sandy, so all you New Yorkers/New Jersians/etc: you ALL have to go and support your local businesses & beaches on the shore. They need you! Help them rebuild by frequenting them! It’s a short season, many of these stores desperately need to get back on their feet this year.
Summer only comes once a year and it’s over in the blink of an eye.
So anyway to celebrate us all making it through a Superstorm, a Nor’easter & yet another winter, here’s a brand spankin’ new list of fun summery stuff, chock full of excellent links for you to click on… THE FRIDAY FIFTEEN!
- First, I have to link to these cupcakes I made last year- they’re perfect for the first day of summer with little sugar seashells & saltwater taffy buttercream.
- Second, in the spirit of summery recipes, I have to link to my post from last summer about sun tea & cold brewed iced tea. You’ve gotta make these! They are SUPER refreshing & delicious. And crazy easy. Oh, and sun tea is pretty fun if you have kids.
- Thirdly, very cherry berry cobbler. Need I say more? Newp.
- Fourthly (?), blackberry lime jam and of course, blackberry lime jam cupcakes. Great for a summer birthday. You’re welcome.
- And now for one final recipe (that actually isn’t from me!): this roasted shrimp & orzo from Ina Garten via Siriously Delicious sounds so good. Must make.
- This wreath is so pretty, and simple. Which is really what summer is, isn’t it?
- Everyone needs a cocktail shaker. Why not a custom made one by woodeyeglass.
- And these napkins by stemstallkids are so summery & so Mad Men I can’t even deal! Love ’em.
- True Blood & Dexter both come (or have already come) back this month. Lucky us! However, sad face because it’s the last season of Dexter. You guys know how much I love my Dexter… *sigh*
- I turn 32 in just one month & 9 days. What I’d like for my birthday (aside from an iPad & for my hair to skip the awkward growing-out stage) is a set of Falcon Enamelware in Pigeon Grey. I mentioned them before, I know, but I’m obsessed. I don’t think these three things are asking too much. Especially for a poor pathetic soon-to-be 32-year-old chick like myself. (Ouch.)
- Summertime means that the 4th of July is quickly rearing it’s flag-draped head. Which means patriotic, dinnerware, housewares, clothing, everything! Or, in this case, drinkware: in the form of vintage American Eagle drinking glasses from SouthernWhimsicality.
- Amendment to #10 on my list! I want four things for my birthday, not three. Someone needs to buy me this IMMEDIATELY. My birthday is in a little over a month, guys. Don’t make me cry. I
wantneed this jumbo die-cut pink mixer from Everyday is a Holiday. It’s Lola! MUST HAVE!
- It’s jam-making time. Get your jars ready, read this post and then start making some jam from all that beautiful summer fruit.
- You all know my apron obsession, right? Well look at how cute this pin-up apron from Sourpuss Clothing is! Super cute. And summery.
- My new favorite blog: Farmette.ie. Also known as, I Married an Irish Farmer. Beautiful blog with great stories & photos. And the old post about Irish Artisan cheeses has my mouth watering.
And this month, just because it’s summer & I love summer… I have one more thing to share…
Aren’t these three 1920’s beach bunnies adorable? I wonder who they are, or where this photo was taken. I’d love to know any and all stories behind it. I love that ukelele player! They look like they’re having a blast- total jubilation. And isn’t that what summer is all about? Just good old fashioned fun.