The beautifully restored carousel at Keansburg, NJ
Two days before my birthday this year, my parents, Jay & I took a trip down to Keansburg, NJ. It was so much fun- I hadn’t been to the Jersey Shore in over 11 years, and I hadn’t been to Keansburg in over 15, so it was great to be back. Especially after Superstorm Sandy kicked the crap out of them two years ago, it was amazing to see how they’ve rebuilt! My family has been going to Keansburg for about 100 years; we used to own/rent homes down there & they spent the entire summer there. This photo is of my grandpa Butch (middle, with the cigarette) with (from left to right) Eugene, Marilyn, and Joey, my grandma Agnes’ siblings. And one of the Torpey boys being creepy in the door!
Anyway, when we went one of the girls who worked there said the summer was already winding down by that point, and that the busiest time was right after Memorial Day into June. But we had a blast, and I’m so happy we went. Another summer in the books, and another fall coming before we know it.
So on that note, here’s the….
- With the coming of September in just a few days, I’m reminded that there’s tons of fall baking coming up… apples in particular! And this caramel apple jam is one of my favorites, as well as this caramel apple syrup (which was a mistake, actually, but still much requested).
- Speaking of things that are in season: figs are all over right now, so why not try some of this fig honey jam from Well Preserved?
- Those late-summer tomatoes are everywhere, too, so how about making this: a garlic-toasted tomato sandwich. NOMS.
- If you’re one of those people who love to grill up some red meat, here’s an interesting tip about cooking it thawed vs. frozen.
- It’s eggplant time… so let’s can some up! Whether your thing is pickled fairytale eggplant in a puckery red wine vinegar brine or melanzane sott’olio (pickled eggplant in olive oil), I’ve got you covered.
- These fried mozzarella & sun dried tomato burgers from Foodie With Family have me drooling all over my keyboard. Gawddamn.
- This article is a great resource on what pots/pans/small appliances you actually need & what you don’t. Especially for those of you living in small spaces like apartments or condos, or for folks with tiny old-style kitchens with limited storage space.
- And speaking of kitchens… due to some unforeseen circumstances (& “surprises”!) we’ll be redoing ours soon. I’m looking for inspiration, even though I pretty much have a clear idea of what I’m after. Right now I’m loving butcher block countertops, two-tone cabinets or grey cabinets & a bit of open shelving. So refreshing & “new” looking, without looking too modern.
- i think I’m gonna borrow my mom’s Crock Pot & make some of this slow-cooker marinara.
- Savory Simple‘s baked chai French toast makes me think of fall. Which I’m trying not to do for a few weeks yet, but it’s hard!
- If you have trouble making cookies, here’s an amazing Cookie Troubleshooting Guide by Handle the Heat.
- I’m itching to chop my hair off again & Lena Headey isn’t helping. Grr.
- Got cukes? Make these. You won’t regret it.
- With my end-of-summer cukes, I’ll be making these: caraway pickles.
- Looking forward to the final season of Boardwalk Empire. As sad as I am to see it go.