Today’s recipe is not canned. I know! A lot of you are thinking “Oh thank cupcakes- enough canning.” But I didn’t do it on purpose. I just haven’t baked in a while and I just got the bug the other night super late. Well not super late but late enough.
I used to think baking at 3 a.m. was late. Now I think 10 p.m. baking is wild. #MomLife
So, about this bread. She’s not the prettiest girl at the dance, but she’s tasty.
And pretty healthy; whole wheat flour, fresh cherries… not bad.
I adapted this from Michelle Keith‘s recipe at Honest Cooking for cherry almond bread. I switched some of the flour to whole wheat, and I added some oats on top because it just made me think of breakfast for some reason. I also think I added more cherries because why the hell not?
This is a very moist (sorry if you hate that word) bread. It’s almost bordering on a cake, like a pound cake. Except moister. Moisterer. Mmmm. Moisterererer.
WHOLE WHEAT CHERRY ALMOND OAT BREAD
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar + 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/24 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup cherries- coarsely chopped and patted dry, plus a few cherries cut in half for “dotting” the top of the bread
- Preheat oven to 400° F. and grease a standard size loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and 3/4 cup sugar. Gently fold in the cherries.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, milk and extracts.
- Combine the two mixtures, stirring until just moistened.
- Pour into pan. Stud the top with the halved cherries (I did it cut side up), sprinkle the oats on and finally sprinkle with extra teaspoon sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Super duper easy and it travels well. I’m guessing you could also substitute cranberries or blueberries or bananas or whatever if you’d like. Also the oats are totes optional. I think they add a little something but you can leave them out.
And no, this isn’t the end of the cherries. Sorry guys, cherry season continues!
Suggestions for use: Eat it! Great for breakfast, at room temp or warmed up, with a sprinkling of confectioner’s sugar or some whipped cream or even just a little butter.
Soundtrack: Megadeth – “A Tout Le Monde”
Sources & credits: Vintage loaf pan; my nana’s.