You got it. It’s that time again. Time for a list of things that are giving me life right now. And you know, sometimes it’s really hard to find 15 awesome things. Mainly because there’s so much cool stuff out there, but also there’s a lot of absolute crap, and that makes me kind of pissed off. But alas, that’s a story for another day. Today is all about GOOD things. Awesome things. Things that make me happy.
This is also one of the first Friday Fifteen’s that isn’t themed. No holidays coming up! Not until Mother’s Day/Memorial Day, at any rate. AHHH- that means I CAN BREATHE! And I mean that both literally and physically, now that I’m no longer sick. Although allergies are starting, so stay tuned for my possible future nasal tales of woe. But that’s okay.. because it’s spring! And spring being here means summer isn’t too far away.
Make no mistake about it; I am a tried & true summer baby. Autumn may very well be my favorite season- but summer is in my blood. If you didn’t know I was born on July 30th, you’d know it as soon as the summer rolls around. I could spend all day, every day, at the beach. And in the water no less. I like to garden, dig in the dirt & spend time in the outdoors (however not camping, mind you). I love the sun coming up early & going down late, the fire pits & s’mores and the fresh air. The fresh herbs, the vegetables, the flowers. Outdoor dining. Long walks at night. Ever since I was a baby the summer has been my thing. As long as it isn’t 90 (or over) and obscenely humid, I’m in my glory.
Not to mention the fact that any relationship I’ve ever been in has always started during the summer. I think it’s because I’m just at my best then… but maybe that’s me being a conceited Leo. Either way, summer is awesome.
But despite all that, there’s something to be said about spring. As a matter of fact, in many ways it’s better than summer. It’s cooler, not as humid, and there are more opportunities to wear cute rain boots. Plus if it weren’t for spring rain, those summer flowers wouldn’t be as beautiful as they are.
Am I off my soapbox yet? Okay… let’s get down to business.
- First things first: those flowers above. I am in love with them! They’re so beautiful, and they last forever. I’ve had them almost a month now, no joke. (In that picture, they’re in a brand new blue Ball anniversary edition jar full of water with two of my vintage Ball jars, on a vintage tea towel. It’s actually a shame you can’t see it in the photo but the towel is embroidered with two little people playing leapfrog and it says ‘Wednesday.’ I’ve got one for every day of the week)
- Number two this time around is my new favorite food blog: Thug Kitchen. I posted it on my Facebook page last month after Xenia showed it to me & it slayed everyone. Best freakin’ blog ever. If you’re not into four letter words & thugly gangsta shit, I suggest you not bother visiting it.
- Falcon Enamelware is my new obsession. It looks so vintage, I’m totally in love. You all know how I feel about vintage stuff… not only that, but it’s durable. And proven to be so; they’ve been around since 1920. Companies don’t stick around that long unless they’re delivering good products. My great-grandmother used all enamelware to cook with back in the day, and I’ve always loved it. It’s just so hard to find here unless you buy vintage. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but you’ve just gotta be careful with quality. So anyway basically I’d like the baking set in Pigeon Grey, and a set of plates & two mugs to match, plz & thx.
- Since going there in January, I’ve been craving a white chocolate mocha latte from this adorable little coffee place in Mystic called The Green Marble Coffee House. Jay loved the chocolate Hammerhead so much, we randomly just talk about it. You haven’t lived ’til you’ve had a coffee at this place. Talk about amazing- no chain coffee place can touch it. You think your Starbucks white chocolate mocha latte is good? Pfft. I’d hitchhike to CT just to get another one of these. Oh, and for some pizza, too. I know I live in New York & New York pizza is the best, but Mystic Pizza is damn delicious. If you live nearby, you should definitely check out the Green Marble Coffee House: 8 Steamboat Wharf, Mystic, CT 06355.
- Copper mugs for making Moscow Mules. Must. Get. Them. Now.
- I kinda love this pinwheel necklace & this scissors necklace from JewelryDeli.
- Now that the weather is steadily getting warmer, and I realized my cookie dough isn’t getting any less sticky in the warm weather, I finally decided to get myself a marble rolling pin. I got a $10 coupon/credit thingy for Sur la Table in the mail, & so I went in & saw they had ones with a little marble cradle for a mere $25.00! With my little credit, that brought my purchase to a whopping $15.00. I had been lusting after marble rolling pins forever, and they were always so expensive. But now I can roll pie crust & cookie dough in hot weather to my heart’s content & have no problem with dough sticking everywhere. Begone, ye wooden rolling pin! However… is it bad that I recently found a black marble version & I want that, too?
- Bath & Body Works has a new fragrance, Beautiful Day, and I love it. Despite it sharing a name with the worst U2 song in existence, it’s an amazing smell. And it’s really affordable! $14.00 for a bottle that lasts forever. If you’re looking for a really nice summer fragrance that won’t cost an arm & a leg, this is it. I’m constantly getting compliments on it. (did this turn into a beauty blog? NO. I swear.)
- Iced coffee season is here! Hurray! Time for some cold-brewed coffee in a jar in the fridge, and Thai iced coffee too. Noms. And let’s not forget sun tea!
- Things I love on TV news: Mad Men is back! I will always love Don Draper. Always & forever. I don’t care if he’s a womanizing creep… and I love me some Joan Harris too! And wait… there’s more… True Blood season 6 is coming June 16th. I can’t wait to use the True Blood cookbook I bought last year to create some deliciousness for the premiere. It’s true, waiting sucks, so I’m glad the wait is almost over. *sigh* Ohhh, TV. You make it so hard to be productive when you give me shows like these! *shakes fist*
- Rhubarb vanilla bean curd is a must this season. How unique is that? I think maybe my mother would like a jar or two for Mother’s Day…
- These coasters are so bright & cheery for the spring & summer.
- These heirloom “Moon & Stars” watermelon seeds make me want to grow watermelon DESPERATELY. They’re so Van Gogh-looking! As a matter of fact, just about everything sold by HEIRLOOMS R US SEEDS on Etsy makes me want to be a suburban farmer. I’ve already got the overalls & the green thumb.
- Srsly? Is this recipe for real? It sounds… magical. Milk pudding? Fairy floss? I’m in. Sounds like some Harry Potter type shit. I’m so down.
- Last… but not least…. THE GREAT GATSBY, FUTHAMUCKAS. IT’S COMING. MAY 10TH. *does the Harlem Shake*