I’ve been dying to make this recipe for AGES. This is a really good recipe, and may I just say of course it is because its a Martha recipe… and when is she ever wrong? Never. That and its gluten-free (because theres no flour in it- nudge, nudge Jamie!). Its a very light (very VERY LIGHT), elegant, gourmet recipe but its also a good recipe to make if you’re low on flour and sugar and still need (or want) to bake. It makes a dense chocolate cake that almost melts in your mouth, but yet is incredibly airy. Its not a French recipe (although I do have one of those, but it requires Grand Marnier and I don’t have any) but it tastes very French. Oui, oui!
This may be my first, but it is certainly not my last “le gâteau au chocolat sans la farine…”
There are infinite ways to make it interesting; you could “stencil” a shape on the top (place a cutout of a shape on the middle of the cake, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and then remove the shape… voila!), coat it in melted chocolate and raspberries, make a pool of chocolate/caramel/white chocolate/raspberry sauce for it to sit in, etc, etc.
FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or 8 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate)
- 6 large egg whites
- 6 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter + 1 tablespoon for coating the pan
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F, with rack in the center.
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Place butter and chocolate in a large bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until melted. Cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add in granulated sugar; beat until stiff and glossy.
- Whisk ¼ of egg whites into chocolate mixture. Gently fold that into remaining egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until cake pulls away from sides of pan and is just set in the center, roughly 45-50 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Serve dusted with confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, a dollop of fresh whipped cream, or whatever you wish.
Yum. La bonne vie!!