I had to bake tonight since the weather’s gotten a little cooler. 75 degrees instead of 95. I was being harrassed about the lack of baked goods around here lately, in other words: “Yes, sorbet and panna cotta are wonderful, but give us the damn cupcakes bitch.” My public wanted my sweet fluffy cupcakes and who am I to deny them?
So… lemon felt summery to me, and I had a whole bucket load of yogurt left over from aforementioned panna cotta… hence, lemon yogurt cupcakes. Thank you Recipezaar.
This made about 17 cupcakes for me.
LEMON YOGURT CUPCAKES
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract (or lemon oil)
Then you will:
- Preheat oven to 350F and use muffin pan, lined with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter and egg until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon zest and juice and lemon extract, beating until smooth.
- Add flour mixture, beating just until smooth. Scoop batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with your favorite icing.
I topped these with vanilla frosting mainly because they are so lemony… I felt it would be lemon-overload to frost them with lemon. I’m telling you these are SUPER lemon flavored. Add a slice of lemon and voila!
You can find the vanilla frosting recipe here.