Only my dad would decide he wanted blueberry cupcakes… in January. Luckily I was able to get my hands on some, and I didn’t have to pay $600 dollars for them. But for this recipe, you could use frozen also, especially since in the recipe I found at Epicurious, they ask you to freeze/chill them anyway. The slightly frozen or chilled blueberries in the cake prevent them from bursting & “leaking” into the cake. This way, the cake stays true to it’s color with just blueberries scattered around within it, instead of the cake turning bluish purple (however, for the frosting, I thought using a blueberry puree would make the frosting look pretty). If you make these during blueberry season, however, it’s worth it to make the effort to get fresh blueberries. January is not blueberry season.
To be fair, we all got hit with a wicked stomach virus, it had been going around & passed around between friends & family & co-workers everywhere around here. My mother got it, then I got it, then my dad got it once we were better. Jay escaped unscathed, however. So anyway, I know when I was sick with it I hadn’t been eating much, so when he requested these I had to oblige. If all you can eat are cupcakes- I totally endorse it! Blueberries are really good for you, actually.
Researchers have shown that blueberry anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins, resveratrol, flavonols, and tannins inhibit mechanisms of cancer cell development and inflammation in vitro. Similar to red grape, some blueberry species contain in their skins significant levels of resveratrol, a phytochemical.
Although most studies below were conducted using the highbush cultivar of blueberries (V. corymbosum), content of polyphenol antioxidants and anthocyanins in lowbush (wild) blueberries (V. angustifolium) exceeds values found in highbush species.
At a 2007 symposium on berry health benefits were reports showing consumption of blueberries (and similar berry fruits including cranberries) may alleviate the cognitive decline occurring in Alzheimer’s disease and other conditions of aging.
A chemical isolated from blueberry leaves can block replication of the hepatitis C virus and might help to delay disease spread in infected individuals.
Feeding blueberries to animals lowers brain damage in experimental stroke. Research at Rutgers has also shown that blueberries may help prevent urinary tract infections.
Other animal studies found that blueberry consumption lowered cholesterol and total blood lipid levels, possibly affecting symptoms of heart disease.glycosaminoglycans which are vascular cell components affecting control of blood pressure.
A study soon to be published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that supplementation with wild blueberry juice enhanced memory and learning in older adults, while reducing blood sugar and symptoms of depression.
However, I am not a blueberry fan. So I quartered all of these recipes to make 8 cupcakes, 6 just for dad. The other two? Just for mom.
Blue cupcake liners from Bake It Pretty
You can’t tell from the photo, but yes, the cake has whole blueberries in it!
BLUEBERRY CUPCAKES (from Bon Appétit)
- 3 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 ¼ cups fresh blueberries, frozen for 4 hours
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- Sift flour and next 4 ingredients into large bowl. Whisk melted butter and oil in medium bowl. Add eggs; whisk to blend.
- Whisk in buttermilk, milk, vanilla extract, and peel. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients; whisk just to blend.
- Stir in frozen blueberries. Divide batter among liners. Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 23 minutes.
- Transfer cupcakes to racks; cool.
- 12 ounces (approximately 1 ½ cups) fresh or frozen berries, (defrosted if frozen)*
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine berries, sugar, and lemon juice; process to a smooth puree, about 30 seconds. NOTE: Pureeing may be done in a blender or a food processor, but if using a blender, make sure that any seeds are not ground so finely that they will pass through the sieve.
- Pour into a fine sieve set over a bowl. Use a rubber spatula to stir and press the puree through the sieve; discard solids.
- Taste and add more sugar if necessary.
- Refrigerate in a non-reactive container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Yield approximately 1 cup of finished puree.
* Sort and wash berries. Drain, cap, and stem (or thaw if frozen) unsweetened berries.
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup pureed blueberries
- Place sugar and egg whites in the heat-proof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, and whisk until sugar has dissolved and egg whites are hot to the touch, about 3 minutes. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers; it should feel completely smooth.
- Transfer bowl to mixer stand. Using the whisk attachment, beat on high speed until mixture has cooled completely and formed stiff and glossy peaks, about 10 minutes.
- Add the butter, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated after each addition. Don’t worry if the buttercream appears curdled after all the butter has been added; it will become smooth again with continued beating. Add vanilla, and beat just until combined.
- Switch to the paddle attachment, and beat on the lowest speed to eliminate any air pockets, about 5 minutes.
- After the buttercream comes together, add the blueberry puree and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Frost your cooled cupcakes!
I did a ghetto puree and just cooked the berries down a bit in some sugar & lemon juice, then crushed them down. That meant there were still some fairly large chunks. To frost them, I continued with my laziness & also did that ghetto style; I just filled up a disposable pastry bag & snipped off the tip. I was afraid the chunks of blueberry would clog any tip I used. It still looks good, though, right? By the way, that puree recipe works with pretty much any berry. Another really great idea would be to fill these with a blueberry jam. However, just as they were, they went over pretty big. If you’re a blueberry person, try these muffins too.
I want to apologize for any strange color variations in my photos recently. Like I’ve mentioned before, I’m messing with the settings on my camera/with the lighting. Some of the experiments don’t quite work, but I’m exploring the capabilities of it & what I can do with it, so cut me a little slack, k?
Only registered users can comment.
didnt quite unerstand ingre. had cream of tarter and water but instru. there were no cream of tarter nor water but there was vanilla little confused.
You’re right I have no idea why that is. I might have been drunk. That happens sometimes. I’ll have to go back & re-read it when it’s not 2:30 am & I can concentrate… I’ll fix it.
lol. would love to give it a shot for a bday coming up, looks delish. p.s. LOVE the cupcake rehab name and logo 🙂
Thanks! LOL I promise I’ll read it thoroughly tonight & fix it.
Okay Nikcole it’s fixed. Sorry about that, haha. I’ll try not to drink & blog from now on 😉
🙂 thanks just in time it was a huge hit i wish i could send a pic. i did fill with blueberry jam, drizzled alittle of the puree on top of the meringue and garnished with a blueberry. thanks!
It sounds awesome! I’m glad they were a hit!
I really like your blog.. very nice colors &
theme. Did you design this website yourself or did
you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking
to create my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from.
Hello, you used to write fantastic, but the last few posts have been kinda boring…
I miss your super writings. Past few posts are just a little out of track!
Simply desire to say your article is as amazing. The clarity in your post is simply excellent and i can assume you are
an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab
your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable
The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested
to see if it can survive a twenty five foot drop, just so she
can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!
I’m not sure exactly why but this website is loading very slow for me.
Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end?
I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.
Hey, you used to write fantastic, but the last few posts have been kinda
boring… I miss your super writings. Past several posts
are just a little out of track! come on!
Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog
and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog
posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.
Incredible quest there. What occurred after?
Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just
your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all.
But think about if you added some great graphics or video clips to give your posts more,
“pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and
clips, this blog could definitely be one of the greatest in its niche.
Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and
found that it is truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels.
I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future.
Numerous people will be benefited from your writing.
Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.
If you are going for most excellent contents like I do, just pay a quick visit this website everyday since
it gives quality contents, thanks
I do believe all the ideas you’ve introduced on your post.
They’re very convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts
are too short for newbies. Could you please lengthen them a little
from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.
Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The words in your article seem to be running off the screen in Opera.
I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Many thanks
Needed to create you this tiny note to finally give thanks
over again relating to the marvelous principles you’ve discussed on this page.
This has been so wonderfully generous with people like you giving unhampered all that some people might have
offered for sale as an electronic book to generate some profit for
themselves, and in particular given that you might well have
tried it in the event you desired. Those solutions also acted to be a fantastic way
to comprehend many people have a similar desire just as mine to grasp many more in regard to this matter.
I’m certain there are millions of more pleasant periods in the
future for people who start reading your blog post.
Howdy just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know
a few of the images aren’t loading correctly.
I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.
Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is important and all. But imagine if you added some great pictures or videos to give your posts more,
“pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and videos,
this website could definitely be one of the greatest in its field.
If you wish for to obtain much from this paragraph then you have to apply these strategies to your
What’s up to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this web site, and your views are fastidious designed for
I for all time emailed this webpage post page
to all my associates, for the reason that if like to read it next my links will too.
Comments are closed.