Lately, it’s been pretty busy around here. First the giveaway, then TOTB Thursday, and now today is Friday. You might remember a few weeks ago I started a new feature here at the blog called The Friday Fifteen. And not only that, but it’s almost Halloween! Just five days left. There’s a lot of Halloween-related fun going on in both the internet world and the “real life” world (whatever that is). Candy, aprons, pumpkins, OH MY!
This year my jack-o-lantern is Edgar Allan Poe, my very favorite literary figure.
It’s not my best work ever, no. The pumpkin was crazy thick! I had a hell of a time scraping it thin enough to cut and even then I screwed up a little bit in some spots, but all in all it bears enough of a resemblance. So anyway… all that stuff together means it’s time for… The Friday Fifteen: Halloween edition.
Oh. I almost forgot! Congratulations to Kate G, the winner of the Dia de los Muertos/Sourpuss Clothing giveaway! Enjoy it! And I wanna see pics!
- This amazing vector drawing of a girl with Day of the Dead skull makeup by MW-1991 on DeviantART. Gorgeous, and my new desktop wallpaper. She matches my sugar skulls from Sourpuss Clothing, too, doesn’t she?
- Speaking of Dia de los Muertos, it’s coming up soon. I love this day & what it represents. Please read up about it if you aren’t familiar with the actual history of it… or at least read the Wikipedia page. Then check out my Day of the Dead posts from years’ past. It’s just a beautiful concept.
- These Halloween cookies by Sweetopia are so awesome! I remember seeing them last year but I think they’re worth seeing again… as is everything Marian does.
- Universal Classic Monsters horror movies. They’re all on constant rotation this time of year, but most especially my girl, The Bride of Frankenstein.
- Halloween treats from Bakerella: candy corn cake pops & spider web cake pops, plus some other oldies but goodies from previous years. Very cute, and great to make with kids. Love them!
- Fantastic Halloween cocktail ideas.
- And you need something to put those cocktails or shots in, right? Well Sourpuss Clothing has your back in that department. Check out these babies!
- Elementary, Grimm, Once Upon a Time & Copper. Fall TV rocks.
- Sprinkle Bakes made an amazing “Batty” Battenburg cake & green punch last year that you should really check out.
- Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favorite authors, ever, like I said above… and The Raven is one of my favorite poems, ever. I even recited it (in it’s entirety) at a high school coffee house event once. And what could be better than The Raven for Halloween? Christopher Walken reading The Raven. You’re welcome.
- Williams-Sonoma Halloween plates. Shut. The. Front. Door. If there was someone in front of me right now I’d punch them just out of the sheer awesomeness of those plates.
- Every year at Halloween, I get super excited to see any and all references to The Headless Horseman, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow & the Van Tassel family, because I’m related to them (by marriage, not blood)! It’s also one of my favorite stories.
- Carving my jack-o-lantern! I wait for that every year since I was a little kid. So much fun. And you get to eat the guts & seeds! That’s right. Pumpkin muffins made from the cut out pieces of jack-o-lanterns. I’ve been doing it since I was in kindergarten. If you haven’t done your jack-o-lantern yet, then try it. They’re super yummy and pretty healthy. Tons of fun for kids, too. If you’ve never done it, then I suggest you do it. Just try it once. It’s messy but so much fun!
- Martha’s Halloween costume ideas are always great. I wish the people who came to my place trick-or-treating with their kids looked that cool.
- The M·A·C Venomous Villains Maleficent ‘Dark Deed’ lipstick I’ll be wearing on Halloween. My favorite dark color.
If you’re still looking for last minute ideas, then you might want to check out my Halloween archives! There’s a ton of stuff in there, from cupcakes to cookies to everything else you can imagine. But I’ll be back in a few days with even more Halloween fun…