Potato salad is something that goes with cookouts and barbecues like coleslaw goes with pulled pork. Seemingly, you can’t have burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob & the like without some fresh potato salad.
Being that we bought a brand new grill late last month & had our first cookout, I thought it was time to make something summery.
Potato salad (like macaroni or egg) is so incredibly simple you really don’t even need a recipe- all you need is the basic ingredients. I threw this one together because I didn’t have a lot of mayonnaise, but I had a brand new container of sour cream. However if you’re not familiar with making it, it might seem complex or even daunting, so I thought I’d share my recipe.
I usually use red wine vinegar in my salads, because it’s much beloved here. Feel free to substitute with whatever it is you love!
The great thing about these salads is you can literally use ANYTHING you like, in any combination. If you hate red wine vinegar, use rice vinegar. Or apple cider. Or plain white. Whatever. Same goes for the dill- try parsley or arugula, chopped up.
I always add a bit of sugar to my salads. My grandma always did that so I do it. If it bothers you, take it out, but don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it!
SOUR CREAM-Y POTATO SALAD
- 3 lbs. potatoes- your choice- boiled until soft and then cooled (I don’t peel mine, but feel free to do so)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green Bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium/large carrot, peeled and grated (on the larger side; not a fine grate)
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the red onion, Bell pepper, red wine vinegar, white vinegar, salt, sugar, black pepper and HALF the paprika. Set aside.
- Cut up your potatoes to the size you prefer. I leave mine pretty large, but it’s up to you. Add them to a large bowl.
- Add the carrots & mix with the potatoes. Whisk the mayonnaise and sour cream together in a third bowl, then whisk that into the red wine vinegar mixture.
- Spoon the dressing over the potatoes and carrots. Mix until every potato is covered. Add the rest of the paprika & HALF the dill, store to combine. Sprinkle with remaining dill.
- Cover with plastic or a lid and chill until serving.
If you like a less creamy salad, cut the sour cream and mayo down. If you like it more creamy, add more to taste. Same goes with the salt & pepper.
Basically… do whatever you want!
Extra additions and/substitutions include:
- Red potatoes, baby golds, or fingerling
- Dilly beans, chopped
- Hard boiled eggs
- Red peppers
- Parsley, arugula or purslane; chopped
- Dill pickles, chopped
- Chive blossom vinegar, rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- Flavored mayonnaise
- A drop of mustard, Ranch or Thousand Island dressing
- Low-fat mayonnaise or sour cream
- Plain Greek yogurt