Summer might be over, but the weather begs to differ. My garden is in full swing- cucumbers and tomatoes all over the place, green beans like crazy, banana peppers quicker than I can keep up with. Literally I picked 4 of them on Sunday and three more today. But I know it’s nearing the end, so I’m trying to enjoy them. And if I can’t do that, then get them all preserved or used up as fast as I can.
I made this big ol’ jar of pickles specifically for my dad. Other than me, he’s the only big caraway seed fan in the family. Sad thing is, I don’t like pickles. So this is allllll him. It’s a really easy recipe that doesn’t require canning, so you can make it and toss it in the fridge to let it sit a few days. I just put it in a repurposed spaghetti sauce mason jar.
It’s excellent with pork, or on sandwiches. Plus, because of the cinnamon & caraway, it somehow reminds me of the fact that autumn is coming.
So it’s like a celebration of summer & fall, all rolled into one jar.
‘Cause what’s more summery than pickles? And what spice is more autumn than cinnamon?
CARAWAY PICKLES (from epicurious.com)
- 1 1/4 lbs English hothouse cucumber (about 1 very large one), or 5-6 Kirby cucumbers, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 3″–4″ cinnamon stick
- Place cucumbers in a clean/sterilized jar; set aside.
- Bring sugar, all remaining ingredients, and 1/2 cup water just to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar and salt are completely dissolved. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour pickling liquid over cucumbers. Cover and chill overnight or up to 3 days.
I can’t tell you how much this makes, because I kinda winged it. I used cucumbers I grew in my garden; one big fat GIANT cucumber and one fairly small skinny one went into this jar, and when all was said & done I had maybe 1/4 cup of brine left over. I used one of those crinkly cutters for the cukes ’cause I be fancy like dat.
I also added the cinnamon stick to the jar- it gives it more spice as it sits. That’s optional.
It might be my favorite season, but to be honest I’m not sure if I’m totally ready for it- however either way, it’s coming.
So hey, fall. Have a pickle.