I’m fairly certain everyone, at some point has at least heard of these, if they haven’t actually eaten them. These are my favorite “cookies” to have at Christmas. I’ve had them every year since I was a wee tot. I do remember thinking as a child how complicated they seemed to be to make. I was definitely wrong. I literally made these at 3:00 a.m. It doesn’t get any simpler, except for Rice Krispie treats which is quite possibly the easiest thing to make ever. Anyway heres the recipe (for magic bars- not Rice Krispie treats). My additions have a * next to them.
SEVEN LAYER MAGIC COOKIE BARS
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
- 1 pkg. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 pkg. (6 oz.) butterscotch chips*
- 1 1/3 c. flaked coconut
- 1 c. chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for glass dish).
- In a 13 x 9 inch baking pan melt butter in oven. Sprinkle crumbs over it.
- Mix together and press into pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs. Top evenly with remaining ingredients. Press down firmly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting.**
*I guess mine are actually 6 layer because I don’t like using the butterscotch chips. Its up to you, they’re just as good without them.
**I recommend HIGHLY cutting them very small, as they are super-rich.
I know from experience that Santa LOVES these, so if you want good gifts you might wanna leave him some tonight.