I had some left over white chocolate from the Daring Baker’s challenge, and since there was a severe lack of baked goods in the house and people were starting to revolt- I made these. Vanilla cupcakes with double chocolate chip frosting (double chocolate because its white chocolate buttercream with semi-sweet chocolate chips). Sound good? Then read on…
- 1 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 350° F. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat egg and sugar in a large bowl until thickened; about 2 minutes. At low speed, mix in oil and vanilla until blended. Mix in sour cream until no white streaks remain. Add flour mixture until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly into cupcake liners (about ½ full). Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans about 20 minutes before frosting.
- 2 sticks (½ pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 12 ounces white chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- A handful of mini-chocolate chips
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Beat in the melted white chocolate. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and beat at low speed, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl, until light and fluffy.
- Add handful of mini chips, stir until mixed well.
*This will vary depending on amount of cupcakes you’re making and how thick/fluffy you like your frosting. Mine came out a bit thin using 2 cups. I’d suggest maybe 4 cups?
As a cupcake, it was good. Tasty, but a bit muffin-y. I’m going to make it again and see if it can be made a bit moister. My oven also is a bit off temperature wise, so I’m thinking that may have caused it as well. The frosting? It was super good, reminded me of TCBY White Chocolate Mousse frozen yogurt. Mmmm.