I got a really cute new set of measuring cups & spoons for really cheap at Target recently, and I love them. They’re just so damn cute- pink & heart-shaped & all. So of course… I had to bake with them, and use them in my pictures.
So I made some mini-cupcakes with zebra liners, a light cocoa frosting & pink sprinkles!
I know. Totally cute. The cutest thing? That cupcake is sitting in the tablespoon measuring spoon! They’re teeny! Vanilla cakes (Magnolia‘s, again!) topped with a vanilla confectioner’s sugar buttercream with just a tad unsweetened cocoa mixed in. They have just a little taste of chocolate without being really chocolate-y. You could also use a little Ovaltine to achieve this same effect. No new recipe today, just my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe, again.
MAGNOLIA’S FAMOUS VANILLA CUPCAKES
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
Of course I got about 24 mini-cupcakes from this.
I also got, at Target, a cupcake floor mat for my kitchen, a pink heart shaped mixing bowl and some heart-themed oven mitts & dish towels… all for Valentine’s Day. But around here, those things ain’t just for Valentine’s Day! I did get a big platter-type plate with Valentine’s Day sayings on it, so that’ll be seen later on as it gets closer to V-Day.
On a side note, my hair has been looking super cute lately, if I do say so myself. I keep saying I want to grow it out, and then I see pictures of myself like this one and that goes right out the window. I’m really only posting this because the colors in it are so pinkish they went with the pink theme. Cell phone quality photos aren’t Vogue-worthy, but oh well.