Sorry for the absence, I had to upload and upgrade to a new version of WordPress. Huzzah.
My venture into the world of marshmallow frosting came fairly easily since I used a recipe I found on Bake & Destroy (she used it for S’more cupcakes) and just tweaked it to my needs. I did not attempt any sort of homemade marshmallow-type frosting. I would have, I’m game for a challenge, but I didn’t feel like it today.
These cupcakes are basically chocolate cupcakes frosted with Oreo marshmallow frosting. However, seeing as how I have to rename all my recipes, I call them “Man in Black” cupcakes. Unless you live under a rock- the Man in Black was (and is) Johnny Cash. I don’t care what you heard, nobody is punker than Johnny Cash. The man had no legal name for goodness’s sake; his official birth name was just initials: “J.R.” Now thats punk. So like I said, in tribute to Mr. Cash, I made these delectable cupcakes that would surely make even a dark somber man like himself smile.
Or at least I hope they would.
“MAN IN BLACK “CHOCOLATE OREO CUPCAKES
Makes roughly 16 cupcakes.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (7.5 ounce) jar marshmallow cream (Fluff)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10-12 crushed Oreos (fairly finely crushed)
Then you’re gonna:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Make frosting: Beat butter in a large bowl with mixer on high speed until creamy. Beat in marshmallow creme. Reduce speed to low, and beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Add crushed Oreos. Increase speed to high; beat until fluffy.
I would’ve piped my frosting on with a big fat round tip, but I didn’t crush my Oreos small enough and they wouldn’t pipe out well. So I slathered it on. Johnny had this to say about that:
Eff you, large Oreo chunks!
Eat them while listening to ‘Ring of Fire’ and make sure to rip your bathroom sink out of the wall and hide pills in your guitar as well. If you don’t have a guitar… well.. just don’t hide them in the cupcakes.