This is a pretty cool recipe, because it’s something you wouldn’t ordinarily think of putting together: olive oil and cake. Of course, because I have a kind of fetish for associating recipes with pop culture, I immediately thought of Olive Oyl, Popeye‘s girlfriend. It’s really got nothing to do with Popeye, it’s just got olive oil in it. But whatever. It’s my website and I’ll name the cake whatever I want to.
This recipe is a recipe from the Abraço Coffee shop in the East Village, NYC, courtesy of Bon Appétit magazine. It’s an amazingly light, refreshing summery cake and it goes very well with coffee of all kinds. Plus, it’s also an easy and not too sweet treat for me to eat with my effed up wisdom tooth (at least until it’s taken care of next week).
OLIVE OY(i)L CAKE
- 1½ cups organic flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 large organic eggs
- ¾ cup organic whole milk
- ½ cup mild flavored organic olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 325. Oil and flour 9″x5″x3″ metal loaf pan.
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, milks, olive oil and orange peel in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk egg mixture into dry ingredients. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 60-65 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Invert pan to remove cake. Cool completely, top side up.
I love the orange flavor in this cake. It’s subtle and delicious. I could seriously eat the whole loaf myself. But I won’t.