For Easter this year, I decided to make a cupcake I’ve been wanting to try for years and never did. Mainly because they seemed slightly time consuming (and I’m lazy), but also because I never have all the ingredients on hand; corn syrup, cream of tartar and 14 oz. bittersweet chocolate are rarely here all at once. Plus the 7 eggs required for these seemed a bit much. But coincedentally, recently they were all on hand, and because of Easter we had tons of eggs anyway, and I remembered this delicious recipe I found at the Barmy Baker’s website. I did something really cutesy and Easter-themed last year, and I didn’t want to do something like that again this year, but the chocolate covered meringue on these did remind me of chocolate covered marshmallow Easter eggs and bunnies, so I thought they’d be a good choice. I don’t really do the religious thing, but I can’t resist a chocolate bunny. Or a real bunny, for that matter.
So these Hi-Hat cupcakes consist of a “frosting” made with meringue that is piped in circles. Each coil gets smaller as you go up, creating the look of a very high spiral. You can go up to 2″ high with this, if you have the patience. Then that is hardened in the fridge, and coated with a chocolate coating that also hardens in the fridge, creating a hard “bonnet.” I made my meringue banana flavored, because I can. If you want banana extract, go get it. Banana + chocolate = yum.
My cupcake liners and toppers are by Wilton, because again… I’m lazy and making my own toppers is sometimes just too much for my lazy-ass self.
CHOCOLATE BLACKOUT CUPCAKES
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder (natural, not dutch-processed)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces melted butter
- 1 cup brewed coffee (I used instant espresso powder in one cup boiling water)
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare 2 muffin tins by lining with 20 or 21 muffin liners.
- This is just like making a quick bread. Sift the dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl.
- Mix together the wet ingredients, Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. This will be a fairly wet batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling until about a quarter of an inch from the top of the liner.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Remove from oven, let cool in pan about 10 minutes and then finish cooling on a rack. Place the room temperature cupcakes in the refrigerator while you make the Italian meringue. These cupcakes (or cake if you make one from this recipe) do tend to taste better the next day after the flavors have all come together.
ITALIAN MERINGUE (adapted from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From My Home to Yours)
- ½ cup (4 egg’s worth) egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp corn syrup
- ¾ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Place the sugar, water and cream of tartar in a heavy bottomed saucepan with a candy thermometer placed on the side of the pan dipping into the mixture. Bring the mixture to 238F. When the sugar syrup is about 10 degrees away from 238F, begin whipping the egg whites to firm shiny peaks. If the whites get to this state before the syrup is at 235, turn your mixer to low speed and just let them keep moving.
- Once the syrup is at 235 and your egg whites are firm and pretty, Carefully and slowly pour the syrup into the egg whites with the mixer running on high speed. Don’t worry about any spatter on the sides of the bowl, it happens and won’t effect the final product.
- Add the vanilla extract and continue whipping the egg whites until they cool to room temperature (I also add about ½ tsp salt, as I like my icing a bit salty with the sweet). Once the mixture is cool, scoop it into a pastry bag fitted with a large piping tip (or you can just use a plastic baggie with the corner cut off to pipe).
- Pipe coil mounds on top of the chilled cupcakes, mounding each high to form the marshmallow “hat”. Place the cupcakes in the refrigerator and make your chocolate coating.
- 14 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used a 72%)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Place chocolate and oil in the top of a double boiler (I just use a stainless steel bowl) and place over just simmering water and let sit about 5 minutes, then stir until chocolate is melted and you have a nice smooth dipping chocolate.
- Scrape the melted chocolate mixture into a deep container (one that is narrow and deep enough to dip the “hats” in). Dip your cupcakes in one at a time, allow excess to drip off and place the cupcakes on a rack over a sheet of parchment to catch the extra drips.
The worst part of these were letting them “set”, or harden in between steps. I’m an impatient person by nature, so that killed me. But otherwise it was much easier than I anticipated, and truly delicious. Actually… I had a problem with the meringue, but I worked it out. If this meringue doesn’t work for you, try looking around the internet, there may be a better one. Or use buttercream and tell everyone its meringue. Most people won’t know the friggin’ difference anyway.
That said, I wish you all a…
Only registered users can comment.
Mm, banana meringue sounds great!
The chocolate covered Italian meringue is the icing on the cake — delicious!
Thank you.. it was 😀
Oh My Lord! These were awesome. A little rich, but holy cow!!!
I’m glad you liked them!
Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers
and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.
You have done a marvellous job!
It’s wonderful that you are getting thoughts from this paragraph as well
as from our dialogue made at this place.
Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for
my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one?
Thanks a lot!
I was curious if you ever thought of changing the page
layout of your website? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 pictures.
Maybe you could space it out better?
Hey There. I found your weblog the use of msn. This is a
really neatly written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your helpful information. Thanks for the post.
I’ll definitely comeback.
Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?
I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard
on. Any recommendations?
I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everybody else encountering problems
with your blog. It appears as if some of the written text in your content
are running off the screen. Can somebody else please
comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?
This may be a issue with my web browser because I’ve
had this happen before. Kudos
Great website. Plenty of useful information here. I am sending it
to several pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And naturally, thanks for your sweat!
I would like to consider the chance of saying thanks
to you for the professional guidance I have usually enjoyed browsing your site.
I am looking forward to the actual commencement of my college research and the whole preparing would never have been complete without coming to this site.
If I might be of any assistance to others, I will be pleased to help via what I have learned from here.
My programmer is trying to persuade me to
move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the
idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less.
I’ve been using Movable-type on a variety of websites for about a
year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have been surfing online greater than three hours as
of late, but I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours.
It is beautiful worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners
and bloggers made just right content material as you did,
the web will probably be much more helpful than ever before.
Hi there, yeah this piece of writing is actually pleasant and I have learned lot of things from it about
Hi, There’s no doubt that your website could be having browser compatibility issues.
Whenever I look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues.
I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, excellent blog!
Wow, this article is nice, my younger sister is analyzing such
things, thus I am going to inform her.
I every time used to study piece of writing in news
papers but now as I am a user of internet so from now I am using net for posts, thanks to web.
Yesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and tested to see if it
can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple
ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic
but I had to share it with someone!
Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my web site so i came to
return the want?.I am attempting to find things to enhance my website!I guess
its adequate to use a few of your concepts!!
Great website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more.
I am taking your feeds also
Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came
to look it over. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting
this to my followers! Outstanding blog and great design and style.
Howdy! This blog post couldn’t be written any better!
Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He always kept preaching about this. I most certainly will forward this information to
him. Pretty sure he’ll have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!
It’s awesome to pay a quick visit this site and reading the views
of all mates on the topic of this piece of writing, while I am also keen of getting experience.
Hi colleagues, good paragraph and fastidious urging commented here, I am actually enjoying by
Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you’re a great author.I will
be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back later in life.
I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great writing,
have a nice weekend!
Great article. I will be going through many of these
issues as well..
Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this site.
It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that
“perfect balance” between usability and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a superb job with this.
In addition, the blog loads very fast for me on Safari.
After I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are
added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I receive four emails with the same comment.
There has to be an easy method you can remove me
from that service? Cheers!
Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time
as you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a weblog website?
The account aided me a appropriate deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast
provided bright transparent concept
It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is
time to be happy. I have learn this publish and if I could I desire to counsel you some interesting things or tips.
Maybe you can write next articles relating to this
article. I want to learn even more issues approximately it!
After looking into a handful of the blog posts on your web site, I really like your way
of writing a blog. I bookmarked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the near future.
Take a look at my website too and let me know how you feel.
Hi! I simply would like to give you a huge thumbs up for the great info you have
got right here on this post. I will be coming back to your web
site for more soon.
I every time emailed this webpage post page to all my associates, since if like
to read it after that my friends will too.
constantly i used to read smaller posts which also clear their
motive, and that is also happening with this post which
I am reading now.
Comments are closed.