A new year, and a new recipe! And for cupcakes, no less! I haven’t made cupcakes in forever. I know. I’m an asshole, what can I say? I’ve been neglecting the very thing that got my blog any attention when it was a newbie. It’s downright horrifying of me. I’m ashamed & embarrassed. But I’m back in the game!
It’s pretty cold out, so it’s baking time. It’s been baking time since October, late September even… so who am I kidding? But it’s serious baking time now. A high of 11° F? I think that means it’s time to bake. And cook. Hell, I’ll use any excuse to have the oven on when it’s this cold. Plus… I got a new oven… now I’m REALLY using any excuse! Yup- on December 26th, Santa Claus brought me a late Christmas present: a new gas stove, refrigerator & dishwasher. I have no backsplash yet, and my new counters are far in the future, but I can finally cook & keep butter cold. It’s pretty sweet. So yeah, I’ve been busy breaking in my new range & getting used to it. It’s beauuuuutiful!
And really, for me, what better way to break that baby in than with cupcakes?
Everybody loves cupcakes. Except Duff Goldman. I mean, right? How can you hate a mini-individually-sized-cake? What could possibly be SO BAD about having a small cake, all to yourself? Oh. I get it. Anything “trendy” is awful. Mmm hmm. So I guess you don’t use an iPhone, a mason jar or eat kale either, correct? ANYWAY….
These are cupcakes WITH BOOZE. Oh, yes. So there’s even more to love.
I think anyone who hates cupcakes is nuts, personally. But I digress…
These are a richer, more decadent cupcake. So don’t eat 4 at once- you’ll definitely end up with a belly ache.
BOURBON CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a 12-hole muffin pan with liners.
- Put the bourbon and butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium flame until warm. Add the butter and stir until it is melted. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa. Set aside.
- Put the sour cream and eggs into large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the bourbon mixture, flour, baking soda and sugar and stir with a spatula until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.
- Scoop even portions of batter into the liners. Lower oven temperature to 325° F and bake cupcakes for 25 – 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into a cupcakes.
- While cupcakes are baking, make ganache. Remove cupcakes from the oven once they’re done and leave on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once they’re completely cooled, frost cupcakes with frosting of your choice. Then spoon, drizzle, shake, rattle or roll the bourbon ganache on top (recipe below).
CHOCOLATE BOURBON GANACHE
- 2 ounces (about 4 tablespoons) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bourbon
- Add chocolate to a large bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream until just hot – when bubbles are appearing on the edges.
- Remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Stir constantly with a spoon until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Then add in the bourbon, mixing again until smooth. Sprinkle, drizzle or spoon over cupcakes, or dip them right into it.
You can use any frosting you want; chocolate, strawberry, banana, etc. I opted for a basic vanilla confectioner’s sugar “buttercream.” I also frosted it in a kind of circle, leaving the middle open. I spooned some ganache in the middle, then drizzled & splattered it over the entire cake.
I say “double chocolate” because there’s double the chocolate. Duh.
It really doesn’t matter how or what you choose to do… because CHOCOLATE & BOURBON.
That is all.